Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Disposable Society

Picture this: A new dad back in the day, while watching his wife change diapers (Men didn't do this sort of thing back then) Thought to himself, "If I had a dime for every time this kid peed, I'd be rich"

That must be how disposable diapers came about. It certainly wasn't for convenience, because honestly, they have proved to be no more convenient in my own opinion, than cloth. This cloth diapering is much easier than I thought, and I am completely rethinking how I, as a consumer, spend my money. I'm convinced that society was made to believe that disposables would be easier. Mothers were told that the invention of these would be their escape from the everyday drudgery of diaper washing, all as a money making ploy. Someone, somewhere realized how much money there was in disposables-diapers, sanitary napkins, nursing pads, plates, cups, bowls, paper towels, and napkins. If we throw one away, we need another, and another, so we buy more and more. If we buy one, and re-use it, a company is losing money. No wonder there are so many advertisements for disposable things. They don't want us to realize how easy using the products reusable counterparts are, or how much better for us, our wallets, and the planet it is.

Where a disposable thing can be easily replaced with a re-useable, I am replacing it. I'm have become disgusted by the idea of  how much each of us contributes to the insane amount of disposable products ending up in landfills, trashing our precious planet. It's toxic, and extremely unnecessary. I'm making it a point to try to recycle everything I can, start composting, and re-use whatever can be re-used.

*after some research I've found that the invention of disposable diapers was actually the result of housewives being fed up with using plain cloth diapers, which resulted in the constant wetting of bedsheets, clothing, and basically anything the child was placed on. the inventors themselves were women. Nevertheless, the reason that manufacturers decided they were worth producing was because they realized it would mean a continuouss flow of money, with every diaper used, another must be bought. Since then, cloth diapers have come a long way. With the invention of PUL ( the waterproof cloth used in cloth diapers and diaper covers) this constant wetting of clothing, carpets, and bedsheets is no longer an issue. However, The environmental impact of disposable diapers is an issue.

No comments: