Monday, November 8, 2010

thoughts on pizza and life

Today I tried a new Pizza place. It isn't new, just new to me. Nick & Willy's in Park City. I had a delicious Hawaiian style pizza that they call the Big Kahuna. The only difference is that it had mandarin oranges along with the ham and pineapple, and it was delicious. I am going to make a pizza like it tonight when our friends Megan and Jason come over for homemade pizza. We make pizza regularly but since it's usually just the two of us, we make one, and it consists of goat cheese smeared on bottom, then sauteed mushrooms, onions, and red peppers, with fresh tomatoes and marinated artichoke hearts. Then we sprinkle asiago and parm on to, and bake it for 25 minutes. we are lazy and use this Boboli pizza crust from the grocery store. Tonight though, we will make 3 pizzas so we are going to have fun trying new things.

I digress. While I was enjoying my personal pizza and drink, there was a mom at the next table with two kids that seemed to be about a year old, and three or four, and the mom was struggling. The baby boy kept squirming out downwards in the highchair trying to escape, only to get his head stuck between the seat and bar. (shouldn't those things have a little bar in between their legs so this isn't possible?) The older toddler wouldn't eat her pizza and kept saying it was hot, and then she wouldn't stop pounding on the table. I tried not to look over, but they were so cute. I felt bad that she was having such a hard time with them, but couldn't help but smile to myself. That is what I have to look forward to. No matter how much you want to be a parent, or how excited you are to have kids, you better go into it knowing that these situations will occur far too often, and you will constantly be struggling to get your kids to behave, eat their food and sit still! Having these problems in public is probably even more stressful because you don't want to irritate the people around you, and you don't want them looking at you as an incapable parent. I thought she was pretty brave to have taken them out to pizza by herself, and she was being very patient with them, and handling the situation pretty well.

I never thought I'd be 22, married and pregnant. In fact I've always criticized my peers for being too young, and not knowing themselves well enough to choose the person they will spend the rest of their lives with. I've always said people need to get out and do things, go places, meet people, different people without the same views and opinions as you. Learn things about the world and yourself. I pictured myself getting married in 5 or 6 years, and starting a family then, but while I was out having fun and trying to experience all of these things I met Mike and things changed. I guess now I think that you can't criticize people for finding a person they love and wanting to be with them forever. You aren't them, and you don't know what is influencing their decisions. Maybe some of them aren't mature enough , and maybe they are. Maybe it will work out anyways, and they will live the life they always wanted, completely happy and satisfied. Maybe it wont, but that's a risk you take when you get married.

No comments: