Sunday, October 3, 2010

Family

I was a very angry, contentious child, which resulted in me not having the best family relationships when I was younger. Now that I have grown up things have improved greatly, but I definitely think that because of my adolescent behavior I probably missed out on some good times with my brothers and sister. Now I am so grateful for the time we spend together as a family. The greatest thing about family is that no matter what, they will always be there for you. They may be judgemental, seem annoying, be overwhelming at times, or disagree with your lifestyle, but imagine if you didnt have them? I think It's worth every fight, and every disagreement to have the security, and support of your family members. No matter what you do they will always forgive you, and will always love you. I am glad I am blessed with such a family. I'm grateful for a mother and father who sacrificed so much for us, and brothers who probably grew up a little too early to be responsible for us. There are a few things I wish I had done more as a kid, that I try to apply to my relationships now.

-Think twice before I speak
-Always consider someone's feelings and try to put myself in their shoes before I get angry or judge them.
-When I think of something negative, try to replace it with all of the positive things about that person. Usually the good outweighs the bad.
-If I become angry, remove myself from the situation to calm down.
-Listen, and really consider someone's point of view. Understand that you aren't always right, and arguing for the sake of arguing will not get you anywhere.
-Simply treat others as you would like to be treated. Try to constantly uplift, and only speak positively about people.

Life really isn't meant to be spent holding grudges and creating contention. It's short, and should be spent with those who matter the most.

No comments: