Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Our Life

This last month hasn't been the easiest for Mike and I. For reasons I'd rather not disclose we decided we needed a short weekend away, so off to Moab we went. I somehow managed to lose almost all of the photos of the trip in cyberspace, so this is what was left:

It was a fabulous vacation, and although it didn't make everything better, it was a much needed weekend away. Many thanks to mike's mom for watching our doggies.
Speaking of our doggies, this is Whoka {pronounced hookah}.


Whoka was 14 years old! that is one old dog, and let me tell you, he lived all of his 14 years to the fullest. As a puppy he traveled up and down the wolf mountain slopes with mike on a snowmobile when he was employed as a snowmaker there. He was trained as an avalanche dog and did a lot of heli-skiing with Mike back in the day. He also summitted Mt. Shasta, Hayden Peak, Timpanogas, and a whole bunch of others with Mike. He was probably the only dog to ever summit Mt. hood on the route that Mike took.

Needless to say, Whoka was an amazing dog! It was sad to see him deteriorating in his old age. Mike made the decision, and we took him to the vet yesterday, and said goodbye. That was especially hard for Mike.
I'll never really understand the bond he had with that dog. We grew up with so many pets, and they came and went pretty quickly. As a result I probably take the loss of a pet lightly compared to most. Maybe I will understand more fully when we lose Uinta. Technically she is Megan's dog, but we've adopted her. She is such a friendly, happy little dog, and I Love her playful nature. Right now she is shedding like crazy! We vacuum everyday, and you wouldn't believe me if you saw the rug. It is literally covered in blond fluffy tufts of hair.
I've been meaning for a while to post something about our cabin up here in the woods. I am not a great photographer, by any means, so It's really hard to really capture how quaint our little cabin is, but I'll post the photos that I have.


If you look hard you can see Timpanogas at the end of the canyon. This is the view from our deck! It is definitely one of my favorite things about this place. I never thought I would be moving back to Oakley when I so eagerly moved in with Dad at Dodee and Papa's house. As a teenager i always felt stranded, this place was confining. Now that i am back, I appreciate the peace and quiet so much more.

Our Cabin is a little cluttered at the moment. You can see the loft upstairs, the kitchen below it, and part of our living room here. There's also a bathroom there in the corner. Behind where i was standing when I took the photo is the breakfast nook, and the deck. There is a Hole in the floor to the left of the photo, with a ladder that goes down to the bedroom. We love our cozy little cabin!!!!

No comments: